Ford 5.4L 3V engine is junk @ 112,000 miles

160 of 418 Ford Reviews
Mar 19, 2012
review #305985

Bought F150 used, in what appeared to be mint condition.I'm a maintenance fanatic, it's been pampered and serviced more than necessary.

Engine started ticking, dealership says it's bearing failure, their Ford techs admit this is a problem with this engine. BEWARE, DON'T BUY ONE OF "FORD'S DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS". Shame on any automotive manufacturer who can't build an engine that won't go much over 100K.

I, my wife, and all 3 of our adult kids have Fords in our garages, and have had for years.This is the end of an era for the "blue oval" in our family!

9c2d95e
Had an experience with Ford?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
160 of 418 Ford Reviews
haha

Nov 30, 2013 Everett, Washington

should have bought a Chevy. I'm a mechanic not a Ford dealer technician and I constantly see blown spark plugs and bad cam Sout of the Ford 5.4 litre gasoline engine... the other biggest issue with navigators and expeditions is typically the air suspension failing

Oct 11, 2013

I have a lincoln navigator 2009 5.4L 3valve , 94,000, regular maintenance. With no warning light etc., took to dealer for hesitations in engine . Bad cam phasers, needs whole new engine for 8K! manufacturer refuses to do anything since out of warranty. Pitiful. This is my first Ford . Will never buy ford again! They do not stand behind their product!

Badlucktruck

May 05, 2013

Hey I bought a 2004 5.4 3v f150 used with 110k thing ran great until 140k when the first cam phaser (variable timing sprocket ) went causing the timing chain to stretch.
$1250 dollars later and another 20k on the engine the other cam phaser went along with the intake manifold gasket and the 4 catalytic convents that got ruined running lean I'll never trust ford ever again

Mark

Nov 23, 2012

Hi Have a 2003 F350 work truck has 280,000 miles on it and runs great!!! probably will go another 200,000. Doesn't use or leak a drop of fluid. Truck is use daily for construction, hauling and snow plowing. It's all in how you treat the engine on how long it will last.

Me

Jul 02, 2013 Denver, Colorado

F350 does not have a *** 5.4 L ford engine that blows spark plugs out of it's engine. I bet you have a diesel. A better choice..

Jake

Sep 05, 2012

I have a a 3v 5.4 that i rebuilt the right way by ford specs. not by anybody else. The motor is great on gas mileage which is at 18. Have not had a problem with it since. Has for the pulling the heads with out pulling motor is false I have pulled the heads without pulling motor. Ford is still the best auto maker out there.

bo

Jan 19, 2013 Middletown, New York

I thank you for that comment about 5.4 3v , I have 1 i just got it, a 2004 f-150 or the 5.4.3v good eng?

Aaron Frey

May 23, 2012

This one is junk at 70,000 miles, broken rocker arm, killed the camshaft and intake valve. Can't pull the head without pulling the whole engine out. Can you say "*** *** DESIGN?!!!" :(

AAA

Mar 19, 2012

Too bad, you have to wait for the car from China, it has life time guaranty. :grin :p

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Ford.
Filing a new complaint about
×