100% full Not resolved

I'm writing is because of a defect I've been experiencing with the Drive By Wire throttle/acceleration control system that Ford installed in these newer 2005 and up Mustangs. On four separate occasions now, I've experienced an issue when I'd come to a complete stop in my 2006 Mustang GT and while my foot was still firmly pushing down on the brake pedal, all of a sudden, the throttle would open up causing the engine to start racing faster and faster, launching the car forward or would cause the back tires to break lose and start spinning while still pushing down on the brake pedal, causing the vehicle to move overpowering the breaks. The first time this happened, I was parking in a parking lot stall and had come to a complete stop. Before I could even shift the transmission into park, the throttle opened up and the engine began to race and the next thing I know, I'm up and over the concrete wheel stop that was in front of the parking stall and I'm now sitting in the grass median where I finally got my wits about me enough to react and slammed the shifter into park to stop the car and had to shut the ignition off to stop the engine from racing.

I thought it was my own fault, that somehow my foot must've been touching or resting on the accelerator pedal at the same time I was pushing on the brake so that the harder I pushed on the brake, the more the throttle would open up as well. I felt really *** that I could actually make a dumb mistake like that and embarrass myself in front of other people in that shopping center. So I just shrugged it off. A few days had past and I was out driving around when I had to stop at a red light.

I came to a complete stop behind another vehicle that was in front of me and once again, out of the blue the throttle began to open up causing the engine to race and the car started moving forward overpowering my brakes that I now had all my weight pushing down with my foot on the brake pedal trying desperately to stop the car. The only thing that saved me from hitting the car in front of me was that the light turned green and the guy in front of me must've thought I was being an *** squealing my tires so he gunned his car to quickly get away from me. Freakin' scared the *** out of me. I took my time getting home and when I pulled into my garage to park, it happened again.

This time I reacted a little to quick giving myself whiplash slamming the shifter up into park. I was scared out of my wits by this. I had told my older brother about what was happening and he wanted to see if it would do it again. I reluctantly got in and started my car and put it in reverse.

So far so good. Now my brother is standing right in front of my car as I shifted into drive. I no sooner did that and the car wanted to *** forward. I immediately pushed down on the brake as hard as I could to stop the car so my brother could get out of the way.

He thought I was joking at first till he saw my face and just as he went to jump out of the way, the car overtook my brakes and shot me forward slamming my front bumper cover right into a homemade cart we have sitting at the back of our garage for holding new and scrap plywood/lumber and pinning my brothers right foot between my lower spoiler and the cart. Luckily he was ok that it just got his sneaker and not his foot, but it still scared the *** out of both of us nonetheless! I haven't driven the car since. I contacted Ford's main customer service department to let them know about this problem.

They sounded very concerned for my safety and made it sound like they would help to fix this for me. I was told they never heard of this happening before with my year, make and model, but that they would have a local Ford service represenative get in contact with me to handle my case. After a week went by, I finally got an e-mail from a Lauren Layton expressing how sorry they were to hear about my problem and how Ford is very concerned about the safety of their customers. So as a gesture of good faith, they offered to pay to have my car towed to my nearest Ford dealership and their service department look at and hopefully fix this issue.

But,(There's always a But!), because of how old the vehicle is and the fact that the warranty has run out, any costs for parts/labor I would incur, I would be responsible for. Ok, I could understand that if this was in fact something that I caused or it was a part that normally wears out from normal use, but that's not the case here! This is an absolute 100% defect in their Drive By Wire system causing it to malfunction and for some reason a signal is improperly being sent from the car's computer telling the throttle to fully open! This is Ford's mistake/defect, not mine and they should fix it at no cost to me!

I could've been hurt or worse, severely hurt or even have killed someone else because of this defect. I searched online to find out if anyone else has had this same issue, and sure enough, I've found hundreds of posts from people that have damaged, wrecked and even had someone die when this happened to them. Fords even been in a couple class action law suites because of it. So they lied to me when they said they never heard of this issue.

Plus they're beating these law suites because they're playing off the fact that these people are naïve or inexperienced/unknowledgeable with the whole mechanical workings of what's going on with their vehicle, that they're explanation of what's happening when their car does this is slightly off, instead of saying about the throttle revving the engine, they're saying that the accelerator is stuck open or the accelerator pedal is going to the floor etc. etc. This is an electrical defect in the "Drive By Wire" system and there's a miscommunication going on somewhere with the computer wanting send out a false command to fully open the throttle while at the same time the brake pedal is being pushed down. Ford needs to step up, acknowledge this defect and fix it before anymore people are hurt or die just because they want to pretend that they know nothing about this problem, keep it hush hush, burn out peoples savings that are trying to fight them with the court system to the point they give up and eventually hope that this will go away.

Ford knows exactly what the problem is and they've even added a fix on 2010 and newer Mustangs to stop it from happening!?!?!?Come on Ford!, Own up to this, show you do actually care about your loyal and new customers and fix this defect before anymore people get hurt or die!!!!!!!!

Review about: Drive By Wire Electronic Throttle System.

2.7
Turnaround Time
Interest Rate
Style and Design
PRODUCT OR SERVICE
2006 Ford Mustang Gt Car
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Damaged or defective / $15000
Preferred solution Let the company propose a solution

Had an Experience with Ford?

Submit review

Comments

rollo2016
Interesting and well-written. Ford won't admit much, as you know. Personally, I would dump the car and buy something else that you can trust----tho not a Ford. Why buy from a manufacturer who refuses to correct their mistakes?
Charlene McCarthy Blake
to rollo2016 Virginia, United States #1148612
Jeep vehicles are WELL-KNOWN in terms of sudden unintended acceleration. Ask ANY car wash business. As a matter of fact, the Car Wash Association has a formal LIST of most likely vehicles to do this. Jeeps often *** while inside these car washes. Carol lives on a lake and the humid conditions may well be connected.
There's a BIG hidden secret in the auto industry...it's called ELECTRONIC sudden unintended acceleration! I know...you thought that was just about FLOOR MATS and sticky pedals, or "driver error," right? That's certainly what TOYOTA would like you to continue to believe, BUT DON'T!
These ultra-complex new engines are completely computer driven. Software is needed to control the throttle system. You THINK you are giving gas when you press the accelerator, but you are only SUGGESTING this to the computer. In electronic SUA cases, the throttle software may be glitch-prone and NOT do as you wish.
What happens then? Well, the glitch may (and has for countless SUA victims) result in an OPEN THROTTLE situation. The brakes become INEFFECTIVE in these situations and crashes into storefronts, buildings, and homes have resulted.
What does the automaker say? They hook the vehicles up to the computer and declare NOTHING WRONG! They cite the EDR which has erroneous data and say YOU were NOT braking. They point the finger at you based on AGE, GENDER, MEDICAL history, prescription meds, etc. YOU name it, they've TRIED it!
Get the picture? And you THOUGHT the GM
... Show more
Mad-Mustang-Owner
to rollo2016 #1148616
Thanks for the comment! Trust me, I've been tearing my brain apart trying to figure out what to do. I'm on such a tight budget as it is and I've had this at a couple Ford service centers only to have them tell me they can't figure out or find my problem and here's your bill! I can't afford to keep doing this ***. Plus, my conscience won't allow me to just trade this in on something else knowing that it could possibly hurt/kill another person without this problem being fixed and I know that what ever dealership I would happen to trade it in at will just put it right out on their lot for sale without fixing it either. I've tried to find anyone else that may have figured out a way to fix this problem, but I've found nothing. I've even considered buying a manual throttle body that needs a throttle cable and just by-passing the whole Drive by Wire system, but I don't know if that would work or if I can even do that. Not sure what to do, but something definitely needs to be done.
Charlene McCarthy Blake
to rollo2016 Virginia, United States #1148631
So, should he "dump it" so that another person(s) can potentially die when this occurs? You'd be surprised by the volume of vehicles which have this same thing occurring!
The automakers LOVE the "dump it" mentality! That ensures that they never have to take responsibility!