Buckeye, Arizona
1K views 20 comments
Featured on Facebook Not resolved

On 10-31-13 my 22 year old son was involved in a serious high speed read end accident.He was sitting at a red light when hit by a Toyota SUV going between 45-50 MPH.

My son's airbag did not go off (maybe they are not designed to go off when hit in the rear?)

but even worse he hit the steering wheel and cut his forehead open. He ended up in the hospital where he required 21 sutures to close his laceration. We have hired a law firm as the woman that hit him was sick and should not have been driving. Heres the kicker- We were advised that a lawsuit against Ford would be very expensive and could drag on 5-6 years.

My son did not obtain life threatening injuries so it is not an option to file suit against Ford.

I contacted Ford yesterday to report the incident and I spoke with Julie who was very nice and took all the accident information from me and advised that she would be forwarding the information to the legal department. I was advised that I should be hearing from them in about two weeks via mail. I discussed the fact that my son purchased his very first new car and just recently moved into his first apartment and now he is missing work and is very concerned that he is not going back to work for at least two weeks. He was seen yesterday my a Dr and was informed that he has a serious neck and back injury.

How does this happen with a brand new car? My son could have been killed in this new car. My son did everything right, had a seat belt on and he still was seriously hurt. He paid around $20,000 for this car 11 months ago, has made 11 payments at just over $4000, put $1500 down and owes $17,400.

The insurance company is going to pay off just about $14,500 so he is $3000 negative on a car that could have got him killed.

Lets see what Ford Motor Company is going to do to make this unfortunate situation better.Will keep posting updates.

Review about: Car Safety.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Ford?

Submit review

Comments

Zack
Chula Vista, California, United States #1022418
Air bags do not go off in read end accidents, as the censors for the bags depend on frontal or side impact. No car has rear sensors for air bags. You should be suing the driver, not complaining about Ford.
GettyEM
Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States #964958
This is an old post and I'm sure the OP has settled with the driver who hit her son long ago. However, I felt compelled to comment anyway. First and foremost I am happy that there were life threatening injuries. I hope the OP's son had a quick recovery.
With that said, I find the OP's opinion of the car and quick intent to file suit against Ford utterly outrageous. I am an insurance adjuster and I commonly see the litigious side of society. While my job is to protect the interests of my company and our shareholders, a facet of my job is making sure policyholders are treated fairly, with respect, and that claims are settled in a quick and efficient manner in the best interests of those involved. Insurance is a tool to make you "whole" meaning that if pre-accident you drive a vehicle worth $14,500 I need to compensate you what your vehicle was worth.
The OP states that her son was sitting stationary at a stoplight and was hit from behind by a Toyota SUV. While she does not identify the SUV in question, based on the photo it can be discerned as a first generation Toyota Highlander (2001 - 2007). This vehicle has a curb weight of a little over 4,500 pounds when fully equipped. If the vehicle were traveling at a speed of 45 - 50 MPH, based on the laws of physics, that would be around 594,000 foot pounds of force slamming into the back of the Focus.
The picture of the Focus is limited and a bit dark, however it appears that the bumper structure and spare tire well took
... Show more
GettyEM
to GettyEM Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States #964959
I'm happy that there were NO life threatening injuries!
Heydrich
to GettyEM Reardan, Washington, United States #1029488
NOPE, NOPE! No takebacks buddy. Don't backpedal. You don't want to be seen as a flipflopper.
jenradkeusa
Listen Mr anonymous- do you work for Ford?
You are a disgrace to sociatal normalcy. Move on- and ya, go buy a Ford if you are such a fan.
wr400f250
to jenradkeusa #895227
Your son was in an accident, in a small car vs an SUV. Any car the size of the Focus would have at least the same results, if not worse. The best thing you can do is be thankful he's even alive, the only reason being because they engineered it so well for rear-end collisions.
KevinRichards
to jenradkeusa Orange, California, United States #910247
Are you six years old? Only a six year old would ASSume that because someone has a valid point and tells the OP they are wrong that they work for the company. You use words like ya so you must be six years old. The point remains the mother is more concerned about a law suit than her own son. She could not care less if he lived or died, she cares about money. She should be more concerned on saving her son's life than the lawsuit. She sickens me.
jenradkeusa
Why don't you get into the same exact car and I will hit your judgemental piece of *** *** and we will see how you fare- then we will talk.
Other then that get a life and shut up that I should be grateful my son is alive-
I hope as a parent you would do anything for your child. We did not sue Ford and we know who's fault it was. Get the pint of the story and let me get back to my Bronco game.
And my son is doing well. Thanks for asking loser
to jenradkeusa #1102145
It's shameful how you posted gruesome photos in a desperate attempt to gain money for YOURSELF. Nauseating!
ransom
Interestingly, all of this report is addressing the car and what you think (wish?) it had done. I don't see much about who should really be blamed here. Why isn't anyone talking about the real cause of the injuries - the driver of the SUV. That's where all of the blame lies yet everyone seems to be trying to blame Ford.
I mean, he was rear ended by an SUV going 50 miles an hour. It's amazing he survived at all. The Focus was actually pretty impressive and should be thanked for saving his life.
Admit it, you're trying to get money from Ford because they have deeper pockets. Just be thankful your son is alive.